Our Online Dental Education Library
Dr. McGuffie strengthens his professional relationships with his patients by encouraging them to become informed and educated. This ensures that together you and Dr. McGuffie can make the best decisions for your treatment needs. Please browse our dental library to learn more about dental conditions and treatments available. If you have any questions or need to schedule an appointment, please contact us. An informed patient is a healthy patient.
Both natural teeth and teeth with restorations survive best in an oral environment that is clean and where the intake of harmful foods is controlled. Our program is designed to help prevent new cavities, preserve teeth that have been restored and manage periodontal disease. At the initial visit oral hygiene instructions are reviewed and are reinforced at subsequent recall visits. The following are helpful recommendations:
- Brush your teeth twice a day in a circular motion with a soft bristled toothbrush aimed at the gum.
- Floss every night in an up-and-down motion while keeping the floss in a U-shape and against the tooth surface.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid sticky sugary foods.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Use antiseptic and fluoride rinses as directed.
- Have sealants placed on young permanent teeth.